You’ll love how easy this garter stitch hat is to make up. In fact if there is such a thing as ‘too easy’ this easy hat pattern is it. And you’ll probably want to make more than one. So gather up a bunch of knitting yarn and start knitting some hats for all your friends and family.
I wanted an incredibly easy hat pattern that anyone can knit without a lot of fussing and I have 3 reasons for this…
1. Because I want beginner knitters to be able to knit some easy and fun knitting projects as they learn how to knit. This is another knit and learn project. Maybe all you learned so far is the knit stitch. Well, that’s just great because now you can make this garter stitch hat.
2. I want you to experience early on as you’re learning, just how cool it is to have something that you actually made. It just feels so good and that’s what knitting is all about.
Just because you’re still learning to knit doesn’t mean that you can’t make anything.
3. For experienced knitters who love quick knits and a quick pick-me-up after a long project this quick knit garter stitch hat may do the trick. I love these kinds of knitting projects. Don’t you?
This hat can be worn two ways, as a slouchy hat or as an extra warm and snugly hat by folding up the brim so that it fits nicely on your head.
To download a PDF of my Garter Stitch Hat Pattern… Click Here
Garter Stitch Hat Pattern Details
Skills Required: Garter stitch, seaming garter stitch
Circumference: Approximately 19 – 20 inches (51 cm)
- 1 ball worsted weight yarn
- Knitting needles: US 9 (5.5 mm)
- Tapestry needle
Gauge: Not important (Don’t you just love it when a knitting pattern says that?)
Pattern Notes: Gauge is not important for this knitting project as I mentioned. The main reason for this is that Garter stitch is extremely stretchy. This easy hat pattern will fit many different sizes.
Great Knitting Idea: If you have leftover yarn, have more fun knitting and grab my fingerless gloves knitting pattern too. Then you’ll have a nice set.
Garter Stitch Hat Pattern Instructions
Cast on 78 stitches
Knit garter stitch for approximately 12 inches.
Bind off leaving a long tail. (The long tail is used to close the top of the hat).
Thread a tapestry needle and beginning at brim, sew up side seam creating a tube. Then with tapestry needle weave in and out of bind off stitches pulling tightly to close the hole. Weave in the ends securely. Enjoy
Back to easy knitting patterns